Monday, August 25, 2008

Welcome to UAlbany!

So today was the day...started my classes. How do I even start this post? I haven't been in school for a year (granted I did take a summer class-got an A) but this is my first time at this university. I was surrounded by thousands of people...I had to sit in a bunch of classrooms and get use to this life all over again. Before I even made it to a classroom, a few things jumped out at me. 1) Big girls in short short skirts. Ya know, I just don't get why they do it...and it is nothing anyone wants to see unless they are at least eight beers in and planned on making a mistake that night. A few more inches of fabric and the world wouldn't have to be exposed to your goods. Work on it. 2) It is so cliquey. Asians not talking to anyone but themselves. Home coming queens with fake tans chatting it up. Basketball players wearing mesh shorts and spinning a ball. Long Island chicks carrying outdated Loui Vitton bags. It goes on and on. My first class is entry level journalism...at least 40 kids are in it. Our professor is very sweet, soft spoken, and loves to ramble. Within 40 minutes we learned all about her life, who she write for, how she thinks Biden is a "political loser", how we shouldn't swear in print (I told my mom this and she said, "Katie, sit on your hands and duct tape your mouth), she passed out voter registration forms to the great Americans who still aren't registered to vote, and she asked some questions. She asked all of us, "why did you decide to major in journalism?" A girl in the front raised her hand, "I wanna be on TV." This same girl later asked, referring to an article we need to read, “where dat article be?” Good luck getting on TV…maybe your major should be English. Another boy asked, "so is the lucrative?" Really? Why...so you can continue color coordinating your sneakers, with your t-shirts and your hat? Hopefully he will make no money, so he is forced to stop dressing like an asshole. That class ended (thank god!) and it was time to go to a Sociology class. This class is 134 people. Yay! We are all just a number. I don't know what it is...but it's like I attract assholes. They always end up sitting by me. Two classy girls sat behind me. One of the girls laughs was horrendous...and she was loud on purpose. You know those people? Like hahaha, look at me, now wait...I'm going to flip by hair and look at me again. They just start talking about drinking wine and beers...and then it takes the turn into the "so who did you fuck?" conversation. Well, Loud Mouth didn't approve of who Loosey McLoose fucked the other night and that turned into a "what were you thinking" lecture. Loud mouth, joked to McLoose that she probably got crabs or the clap...and McLoose agreed. But wait, they get even classier. McLoose tells her...oops, they had anal sex...by mistake. By mistake? Everyone knows that doesn't happen by "mistake". Loud mouth freaked and told her, "you totally took one for the team." I'll give her that much. Next! Went to another journalism class. The professor was on a writing assignment in Canada. We grabbed the paperwork and left. I'm praying to someone/something this class will be entertaining and challenging. So what's next? I have no idea. I have classes everyday...still working a few jobs...I'll be in Ft. Drum for four days soon (that should be interesting)...Documentary is coming along. Welcome to my world.

7 Comments:

Blogger Victor said...

Nice. I'd like to hear how SUNY's really are. I keep hearing different things about them. Good and bad.

8/25/2008 07:35:00 PM  
Blogger Patrick Howard Donges said...

There are some intelligent, involved, thoughtful people on the UA campus. I agree there are also many problems. Several groups (parents & students included) need a reality check and an attitude adjustment.
Parts of this post need to appear in an op-ed.

8/25/2008 11:32:00 PM  
Blogger GI Kate said...

Pat, you should know I was happy to run into you! Thanks for the mini-tour. Op-ed? Oh boy.

8/26/2008 12:03:00 AM  
Blogger Lela said...

Kate, hang in there....most of the kids in college are just that, clueless kids. They are still self-absorbed infants who have not yet grown out of the ego-centric stage (and some never do). I hope you will run into those intelligent, involved, and thoughtful people on the UA campus. When you do, enjoy it. Challenge them and let them challenge you. The university experience can be a good one, but like everything else, it depends on what you put into it. (OK...enuf lecture...I'm your friend, not your mom; but the "mom-habit" does die hard...just ask my kids.)

8/26/2008 12:36:00 PM  
Blogger Long-time RN said...

Now that's an overview of a very ambitious world! Good for you Kate, all the best.

8/26/2008 09:00:00 PM  
Blogger مارية said...

Once you get out of the entry-level classes it's not so bad! I laughed at the short skirt thing though...here, the fashion is wearing shirts and pants that are four sizes too small, in order to emphasize the rolls...

8/27/2008 12:09:00 AM  
Blogger olgreydog7 said...

I also hate college kids, I'm teaching rotc. I wonder if it has anything to do with being shot at, I seem to hate them more after I got back. I'm proud America is so great that they have nothing that is actually important to worry about, but it's really sad that they don't think about what is really important. Grad classes aren't that bad, but the undergrads annoy me just walking across campus.

8/28/2008 09:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home