Monday, August 18, 2008

"Urgent"

I get an urgent voicemail from my boss, "Katie, please call me I have a message for you and no I don't want you to work." I called my boss only because he said he wasn’t going to ask me to work. He starts telling me about this Special Investigator guy who called looking for me about something that happened while I was in Iraq. Huh? I asked if he was serious and he gave me the gentleman’s number. I hung up and call my roommate from Iraq. I was like, "Rosa, what did we do in Iraq?" We sat on the phone for a few minutes trying to figure out everything we did in Iraq that we shouldn't have done...then we got our stories straight. No Blue Falcons here. So I call Mr. Special Investigator guy...I guess he does investigation regarding the reconstruction of Iraq...who knows. He asked me when I was in Iraq, what my job was, where my building was located, to described the building, etc. Then he started asking questions about the Mayors Cell. I asked him what this was all regarding...he told me something that happened at the Mayors Cell. Oh thank god...Rosa and I were in the clear. The Mayors Cell was where our Command Staff worked out of...drama all the time. Relationships forming, fighting, etc. So I thought I knew exactly was it was all about...one of our commanders messing around. I asked Mr.Investigator, "does this have to do with sex?" He stuttered a few times and said, "uhh uhh no. Generators". What? Generators? Probably shouldn't have yelled out sex. He proceeded to ask me if I remember the generators over there, their color, who worked on them, any KBR employees, blah blah blah. The whole time I'm wondering if he is serious...generators? Three fucking years later. Are you kidding me? I told him no over and over again...apologized I couldn't help with the investigation and wished him luck. Before I hung up, he asked me to look at the photos I took over there to see if I had any of generators. I told him generators weren't my top priority.


Side note: I called up another kid I was deployed with. All he did was work on generators...he already spoke to the guy. However, he told me they are investigating the contracts we had and how we obtained the generators. Really?! Lets investigate companies like KBR and Halliburton who are getting millions of fucking dollars and equipment while the troops are still being fucking shafted.

2 Comments:

Blogger olgreydog7 said...

Ahhh, bureaucracy at it's finest. Ever wonder why contracts cost so much? Some loser overcharged the government once, a program was created to investigate, now they have to add the cost of dealing with the investigations in their bids.

That guy sounds fishy though. I think Squeakers may be a bit disappointed in you.

8/18/2008 03:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate, like Smedley Butler said--WAR IS A RACKET!

8/18/2008 09:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home