Friday, November 06, 2009

The Fort Hood Tragedy.

I'm sure all of you know about the tragedy that took place at Ft. Hood, Texas yesterday. The events that took place are heartbreaking. As more information emerges, it’s seems hard to make sense of it all. Soldiers gunned down by their fellow soldier; An Army psychiatrist who according to his aunt, Noel Hasan, had been harassed about being a Muslim and wanted out of the Army. Regardless of Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan’s motives, there is no justification for what he did. My heart goes out to the soldiers and families at Ft. Hood.

Details emerge about Fort Hood suspect.

I know a huge deal is being made about a female officer shooting Hasan and ending his rampage. Really? After what this country has been through it’s still surprising that women can defend themselves? Shoot? We don’t just curl up in corners and wait for others to rescue us. Police Sgt. Kimberly Munley did what she was trained to do. I don’t understand why this continues to blow peoples minds. If there is doubt women can handle situations like this then stop training them…or shut up and let them do their jobs.
*A reader posted this comment on the NY Daily News article (it’s linked below).
"I have been against women in combat because of my paternalistic feelings but now am reconsidering my opinion. Maybe we need more women like Sgt. Munley, American Hero, in the military. We just might win this war against islamic terrorism. She's a crack shot. 4 rounds pumped into this murdering swine even though she was injured. A female Munley Brigade could probably clear out the Taliban from the Afghan/**** mountains in 2 weeks. She has the Kick-A@ss spirit we need. I'm sure any male soldier would be proud and lucky to have a Sgt. Munley in a foxhole or alongside in a firefight. USA! USA! USA! Miss USA/Miss America is a Lady in Blue with a smokin 9mm."

It's sad that after years of war people are still oblivious to the contribution female soldiers are making.

Police Sgt. Kimberly Munley.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad state of affairs all around the board, Kate. But it's happened before--ever hear of the San Patricio's? McVey? Burmeister (the white one, not the Black one)? Now we're gonna see mob mentality kick in, but in the long run it's no solution. Also, think about this--if the SHRINKS flip out, we're doomed. I doubt if we'll ever get the whole story, and I'll be surprised if he (Has{s}an)survives to stand trial. I just see victims. Everybody loses. A tragedy all around.

11/06/2009 01:59:00 PM  
Blogger M and M said...

Great post and I hope you'd consider typing it up and firing it off to a newspaper, mag or two.

11/07/2009 01:45:00 PM  
Blogger K. Mun said...

Awesome post. I was blog cruising and I happened to stumble across yours! After reading this post I decided to snoop around your blog and I was pleasantly surprised to see you're at the University at Albany; are you a NY native? I was a student there for a year. I miss Albany dearly, so I hope you're enjoying your time, though maybe not this time of year with those wind-tunnels on the podium. =)

Look forward to following you!

11/09/2009 05:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home